A rod dating history
Around this time, the use of oil lamps and, later, gas blowtorches, allowed for increasing intricacy and creative designs.
Other smaller "wandering" glassworks were also erected in areas where timber could be exploited.
Other glassworks were built in Klein-Tettlau (1680), Gebiet Altenfeld (1648), Neustadt (1698), and Krumbach (1615) during this century. It was founded when, due to an abundance of timber in Frankenwald, Hans Greiner and Christoph Muller proposed to erect a glassworks there, negotiating with the local ruler to do so.
This factory produced plate glass and drinking glasses and goblets, and rapidly expanded throughout the eighteenth century. Later, in Marktiegel on the same location as the first glassworks, two factories were constructed in 1721 and were named Henriettenthal.
The glass had a greenish color due to the high amount of iron present in the sand. Hans Greiner and Christoph Muller were also accomplished painters and therefore painted their glass items with Christian passages and, later, humorous passages and folk poetry.
Also in 1856, a glassworks was founded in Lauscha by two brothers, Peter and Christoph Kuhnert.
Here they produced glass marbles, glass canes, and reflective colored glass balls and knobs. In 1861 the factory of the Kuhnert and Company Firm was founded by Gunter Kuhnert and his sons.
Other items produced during this period included thermometers, barometers, artificial eyes, glass beads, and Christmas tree ornaments, among others.
Marble scissors allowed the marble maker to cut portions of a multicolored, threaded glass rod which was heated then twisted as the glass became molten.